TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CRETE
REGULATIONS OF THE CENTRAL LIBRARY
- LIBRARY MISSION STATEMENT
- LIBRARY OBJECTIVES
- OPENING HOURS
- READING ROOM
- SUBJECT COVERAGE OF LIBRARY MATERIAL
- FORMS OF MATERIAL
- BORROWING REGULATIONS
- LIBRARY DEPARTMENTS
- INTERLIBRARY LOAN SERVICE
- REFERENCE SERVICE
LIBRARY MISSION STATEMENT
The main scope of the library is to serve the academic and research programs of the Institute, the teaching work of the instructional personnel and the research needs of all members of the academic community.
- To search, locate, evaluate and acquire new material.
- To ensure access to informational sources that are necessary for the support of the academic and research activities of the institute.
- To organise the provided material in order to be searchable, traceable and usable by the users.
- To provide user seminars for the use of the OPAC and of other electronic resources (databases, e-journals).
- To participate in Consortia (Hermes, Heal-Link) in order to ensure low expenses in acquisitions and to exploit the provided resources and services to a national level.
- To follow the developments in librarianship and information sciences and to adopt standards and acquisitions that will improve the provided services.
The library is open throughout the academic year.
During Christmas or Easter Vacation and during the summer period, the library remains open from 9:00a.m. to 14:00p.m. For any changes in the opening hours relevant announcements will be displayed at the library entrance and in the library web pages ( http://www.lib.teicrete.gr/index_en.html ).
Before entering the reading room, users should be aware that:
|They should leave their personal belongings to the special furniture that is found in the entrance.
CAUTION! The library accepts no responsibility for loss or theft of or damage to personal belongings (wallets, sunglasses etc) left anywhere in the library.
|Books not in use, should not be placed back to their shelves. The library has some special spots (tables) for the placement of this material.|
|Smoking, consumption of food and drinks, with the exception of bottled water, in any part of the library, are forbidden.|
|In the library, mobile phones should be switched -off or set to silent mode.|
SUBJECT COVERAGE OF LIBRARY MATERIAL (LC)
|· A — GENERAL WORKS
· K — LAW
|· L — EDUCATION
FORMS OF MATERIAL
- Books: reference (dictionaries, encyclopedias) and monographs.
- Journals : library possesses journals in greek and foreign languages of general and scientific interest
- Electronic Books: the library is subscribed either autonomously (NetLibrary) or through Heal-Link Consortium (Elsevier, Springer, Taylor and Francis ) to tens of thousands of electronic books.
- Electronic Journals: the collection of e-journals is annually updated and renewed. Moreover, through Heal-Link the library has access to 4.500 titles of foreign journals.
- Databases: the library collection includes databases with valid scientific content. They provide access to full-text, abstracts and TOC or to bibliographic and statistical information.
- CD-ROMS : users can borrow educational and music There is also a CD server that provides access to the databases CADCD Abstracts (bibliographic information on agriculture,-forestry and biotechnology from 1990-) and CINAHL (bibliographic information on nursery and medicine from 1982-)
- DVD: The library collection also includes DVDs of general interest.
- Magnetic tapes and VHS: Users could find some material of this form that covers mostly the sciences of agriculture and technology.
- Newspapers: The library mainly possesses Greek financial and governmental newspapers, such as “KERDOS”, “NAFTEMPORIKI”, “EXPRESS” and “The Greek government Gazette” (print and online).
- Doctoral Dissertations: Greek doctoral dissertations can be ordered by an interlibrary loan service of the National Documentation Centre known as “HERMES”. Dissertations in another language could also be collected by the library.
- Theses: the library collects student theses in digital forms. These documents are fully accessible through the Database “BIBLIOTECA” http://nefeli.lib.teicrete.gr/.
- Leaflets: the library collects leaflets of general interest and also provides users with leaflet- guides on how to use library services.
- Conference Proceedings: Each year the library collects completed series of conference proceedings.
- Borrowing Privileges
All members of our academic Society have the right to borrow books only if they have a library card. A library card can be issued after the attendance of a seminar of one hour concerning the use of library services. The same day the candidate members should fill-in an application and should bring with them a colour photograph.
- Use of the library card
Library card is necessary for the borrowing, renewal and reservation of material. If a user forgets the library card can still borrow material with his student card.
- In case of any change in a user’s personal data or in case of loss of the library card, library staff should be informed
All library users have the right to reserve library material. The user that has reserved an item will be informed by the library staff when this item is available. The library will hold the item in the state of reservation for two days.
All users have the right to renew material, but there should be aware that:
- Renewals are valid only at the final date of the loan period and no sooner or later of the date of loan expiration
- Renewal is possible only if there are 2 items available. Moreover, users can renew their item(s) only once.
- Material on loan can be renewed in person and by phone.
- Library users that have delayed to return an item will be deprived of their borrowing rights for 15 days.
- In a case of a loss or destruction of a library material the user will have to replace it with a new one.
- In a case of theft of library material the user will be deleted from the database of library members.
TABLE 1: BORROWING BY USER CATEGORY
|USER CATEGORY||BORROWING AND RENEWAL DAYS*||NUMBER OF ITEMS||SPECIFICATIONS|
|TEACHING STAFF||2 months with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 15 items of printed and non printed material||In order to obtain a library card, candidate members are obliged to attend a seminar for the use of library services. They should fill in an application found at the issue desk and they should also bring with them a colour photograph
|UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS||20 days with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 4 items of printed and non printed material||In order to obtain a library card, candidate members are obliged to attend a seminar for the use of library services. They should fill in an application found at the issue desk and they should also bring with them a colour photograph
|GRADUANT STUDENTS||2 months with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 10 items of printed and non printed material||· Students on the stage of writing their dissertation should obtain from their Secretary a Confirmation. This confirmation should be given to the library staff in order to change their member code and thus, their borrowing privileges
· In order to get their degree, students are obliged to ask for a library confirmation that they do not owe any material to the library
|POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS||20 days with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 4 items of printed and non printed material||In order to obtain a library card, candidate members are obliged to attend a seminar for the use of library services. They should fill in an application found at the issue desk and they should also bring with them a colour photograph
|20 days with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 4 items of printed and non printed material||Before the finish of their studying period, foreign students from interchange programmes should have a library confirmation that they do not owe any material to the library|
|ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF||20 days with the ability of a 15 days renewal||Up to 4 items of printed and non printed material||In order to obtain a library card, candidate members are obliged to attend a seminar for the use of library services. They should fill in an application found at the issue desk and they should also bring with them a colour photograph
|USERS OF LABORATORY MATERIALS||Laboratory material has been obtained and processed by the library and is situated in laboratories of the institution. All this material is on laboratory loan
|EXTERNAL USERS||Members of the local community are permitted to use the library services on site
TABLE 2: BORROWING BY MATERIAL CATEGORY
|MATERIAL CATEGORY||TEACHING STAFF||UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS||GRADUANT STUDENTS||FOREIGN STUDENTS/
|BOOKS||2 months||20 days||2 months||20 days||20 days||All library books can be loaned apart from those with the indication «Δεν Δανείζεται»= “Not to be borrowed”. In case of a functional problem with the photocopy machine, this material can be loaned for one day or for the weekend|
|JOURNALS||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||There is no loan permission for journals. Library users can study them in the reading room or can use the library’s photocopy machine|
|BINDED VOLUMES||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||There is no loan permission for binded volumes. Library users can study them in the reading room or can use the library’s photocopy machine|
|CD–ROM||3 days||3 days||3 days||3 days||3 days||§ Opticoacoustic material with the indication «Δεν δανείζεται»= ”Not to be borrowed” can be loaned only for one day or for the weekend
§ Accompanying material of books (CD-ROM, DVDs, diskettes) can be loaned for 20 days apart from those with the indication «Δεν δανείζεται»=”Not to be borrowed” that can be loaned only for one day or for the weekend
|REFERENCE BOOKS||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||Not for Loan||There is no loan permission for reference books, meaning encyclopedias, dictionaries, large art books in printed form|
|ONLINE MATERIAL*||Access through the facilities of TEI||Access through the facilities of TEI||Access through the facilities of TEI||Access through the facilities of TEI||Access through the facilities of TEI||Online material (ebooks, ejournals, and databases) is accessible ONLY from the TEI’s facilities and through IP recognition|
- LIBRARY DEPARTMENTS
The department of circulation is responsible for the borrowing of library material. More precisely, for the:
- Definition of the borrowing regulations.
- Inspection and practical application of the borrowing, return, renewal and reservation of material.
- Management of the reserved material.
- Continual evaluation and inspection of the borrowing conditions and submission of new prepositions for its continuous update.
- Provision of confirmations that a user does not have any pending returns of library material.
- Issuing of library cards.
- Provision of general information concerning the library facilities and services.
- Provision of help concerning the use of library equipment.
- Care for the preservation of the library equipment.
- Inspection of the good condition of the commonly used spaces and the commonly used equipment.
- Inspection of selves.
- Shelving of material.
- Inspection of classification.
- Preservation of material.
- Online search on the “Greek Government’s Gazette”, and provision of results to the users.
- DEPARTMENT OF ACQUISITIONS
The main responsibilities of this department are:
- Accumulation of order applications
- Evaluation of orders.
- Update of the acquisitions base.
- Inspection of the orders.
- Acquisition of material and invoice check.
- Constant information of users concerning the new orders either by email or online on the library web pages.
- Subject Indexing of grey literature (Student theses that is considered as unpublished material).
The library staff of this department has the main responsibility for the acquisitions, in collaboration with the teaching staff of the institution. For that reason the library has asked from each school of TEI to appoint to a member of the teaching staff to play the role of a liaison with the library.
Orders of library material are made with some general criteria:
- Relativity with the tuition programme, the research programme and the informational needs of the users.
- Demand and regularity of inter library loan applications.
- The current coverage on a specific subject.
- Validity and reliability of the author, collective organisation and/or publisher.
- Literary and artistic or social value.
Users, students and teaching staff are urged by the library to submit order applications for new library material.
- 3. DEPARTMENT OF CATALOGUING
The department of cataloguing is responsible for the process of printed (books) and of non printed material (CD-ROMS, MUSIC CD-ROMS and VHS). More precisely is responsible for the:
- Registration of the library material.
- Classification of material according to the LC (Library of Congress Classification System).
- Indexing of material according to the Library of Congress Subject Headings.
- Cataloguing of material according to the Anglo-American Cataloguing rules (2nd edition rev.).
- Insertion of bibliographic information to the library catalogue in US-MARC format and through ALEPH 500.
- Shelving of material.
- Definition of the process of material (printed and opticoacoustic).
- Inspection of bibliographical information and the authority files in the library catalogue.
- Inspection, update and enrichment of bibliographic records.
- Evaluation of collection.
- Contribution to the update of the library web pages.
- Education of trainees and inspection of their work.
- Provision of scientific information and documentation.
- DEPARTMENT OF JOURNALS AND DATABASES
This department is responsible for the organisation of printed and electronic journals and for the management of electronic databases. More precisely, for the:
- Contact with suppliers.
- Inspection of the course of orders of printed and electronic journals and databases.
- Regular control of the links to electronic resources.
- Acquisition, check-in and payment of invoices.
- Diffusion of information concerning new services.
- Cataloguing and classification of material.
- Update of OPAC.
- Insertion of data in the library webpage.
- Education of trainees and inspection of their work.
- Creation and distribution of leaflets and informational material.
- Shelving and inspection of material.
- Binding of journals.
- Search for new online services.
- DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION LITERACY
This department is responsible for the organisation of seminars concerning the use of library services.
The seminars consist of:
- The presentation of the organisation and the services of the library.
- The use of the library OPAC.
- The use of e-journals and e-books.
- The searching methods while using the databases.
User seminars take place in the library’s electronic reading room throughout the academic year. A program is always available on the issue desk.
INTER-LIBRARY LOAN SERVICE
The library can only order articles:
- Either in Greece through the collective catalogue of journals of Greek academic Libraries “HERMES” (free of charge).
- Or from abroad through the National Documentation Centre (with a small charge).
The library can provide references on a specific scientific subject by searching on the provided material. Users should submit their application online through the library webpage (http://www.lib.teicrete.gr/index_en.html ) or in person.
The electronic reading- room is situated in the library’s first floor and has 10 workstations for those interested in using the electronic services of the library and other electronic resources on the Internet.
All members of TEI can use the electronic room after showing the library card and after registering in a list of priority. .Maximum duration of use for is 1 hour.
Any loss or damage of the equipment should be reported to the library staff.
The library cannot control the content and validation of the information provided on the Internet. Moreover, online access should comply with the copyright Law and should protect the individual rights of users.
- Applicable use of the electronic reading-room :
- Search of information on the Internet for educational purposes.
- Use of the Library IT systems and services (OPAC, cd-servers, databases, e-resources)
- Use of PCs for emailing.
- Use of office applications (MS office).
- Not applicable use of the electronic reading room :
- Use of the provided electronic resources for personal profit.
- Use of workstations for illegal purposes (copyright violation)
- Power –off of PCs or any other damage.
- Deletion and destruction of the installed software without permission.
- Change of the software and hardware preferences.
- Games- chat
- Lock of the PC for exclusive use
- In a case of damage of the equipment the user is obliged to replace it.
- If a user does not follow the rules of the electronic reading-room, will be deprived of his rights to use the library services.
|Head of the Library||Project Manager|
|Maria Pantalou||Michalis Panagiotakis|
* All library users have the right to renew material, only if there are already 2 items on self. Renewal is valid for 15 days and can be made only once.
* Online material is protected by the Greek Copyright Law 2121/93.